Puffy Original Detailed Review
The Straight Scoop - Our Findings & Highlights
Do you dream about sleeping on a cloud? If so, Puffy should be at the top of your list. No matter your budget, Puffy has designed its line to give you that cloud-like feel of ultimate pressure relief while still aligning your spine for proper support.
|Mattress Type/Category||Memory Foam|
|Cover||Plush hypoallergenic expandable stitch-knit fabric|
|Comfort layers||2 layers of Cooling Cloud & Climate Comfort foam|
|Support System||6” dense foam core|
|Tufting||None, flat surface, removable cover|
|Sleeps Cool||Very Good|
|Good for Couples? / Motion Transfer||Excellent / zero motion transfer|
|Budget||Twin to King $599-$1149, Queen $949|
|Feeling when lying down||Floating on a cloud|
|Puffy is ideal for||Budget conscious but desire a plush feel
Side and combination sleepers below 200lbs
Couples that want no motion transfer
Hot sleepers Preference for sleeping more “in” the bed
|Puffy is not right fo||Sleepers above 200lbs
Exclusive stomach or back sleepers above 160 lbs
Prefer a firmer surface or to sleep more “on top” of the mattress
|Sleep Trial & Warranty||101 Nights, LIfetime Warranty|
|That one special thing||This much pressure relief, at this budget? Amazing|
We’re Here to Help!
Call a Sandman Sleep specialist to fit you for the perfect mattress at 312.888.3155
Get the Best Coupon Automatically Applied Here
Ready to Buy? Buy Now
Launched in 2016, this California based company spent the first year on strict R&D, testing, trying and retesting the perfect formula for the feeling of sleeping on a cloud. In 2017, Puffy released the Puffy Mattress (now called the Puffy Original). Puffy relentlessly focuses on its three tenets:
- Accentuate the feeling of sleeping on a cloud;
- Luxurious comfort; and
- Support for the body.
Sore backs all across America have thanked them ever since. In addition to the stress relief of sleeping in a cloud, Puffy knows that a superior customer experience is paramount toward having a true good night sleep. Quick delivery is key and Puffy has 3 dedicated US based factories to help meet their demand within days of an order. And Puffy backs their beds with an industry leading lifetime warranty. As a result, Puffy customer experience and service rating is at the top of the online bedding category.
We’ll get into the Puffy Original experience next, but first, let’s take a look at the construction and materials that go into this award winning mattress.
Construction / Materials
The first step towards looking like and feeling like you’re sleeping on a cloud is the cover. Puffy chose an expandable yet breathable stitch-knit ultra plush cover. The cover feels ultra plush and is designed to wick away moisture throughout the night. Small elastic fibers solve two problems, first the stretchy nature moves with you as it contours to your body. It lets you achieve the benefits of the pressure relief as it contours to your body. Second, the cover is stain resistant and hypoallergenic for easy cleaning and the prevention of dust mites or bacteria that make its way through the sheets to the cover. Puffy went a step further and put a zipper on its cover so you can remove and throw it in the wash (gentle cycle please!)!
Comfort Layers (They’ve got 2!)
The Puffy Original captures its cloud-like feel through 2 layers (4 inches) of comfort and pressure relief in this 10 inch mattress.
- Right underneath the cover Puffy introduces you to 2 inches of gel infused breathable Cooling Cloud Foam. The gel pulls heat from the body and the breathable materials allow air flow to remove it from the mattress. It does not retain top body heat like most memory foam beds that use visco-elastic foam. It is also more responsive than traditional memory foam so it fills in the nooks and crannies quickly allowing you to move around in bed and not get “stuck”.
- Below the cooling foam is 2 inches of Puffy’s exclusive Climate Comfort FoamTM. This higher density foam provides pressure relief plus greater energy absorption to cradle the body like a cloud should.
For support, Puffy chose a 6 inch high density foam core. This core allows for consistent proper support for those sleepers up to 200-220 pounds. That is significant support for a 10 inch mattress!
The Base Cover
The Grip Base Cover on the bottom of the mattress prevents slippage to the base holding the mattress. While the bed won’t slip around at night, the lightweight nature of the foam comfort and support layers can cause movement of the mattress when one gets out of bed in the morning. The grip base is unique to Puffy and another example of the focus on the little details.
Puffy does not tuft its mattress, meaning the cover is not attached to the comfort and support layers. This is for two reasons, first, the cover is removable so it can be easily cleaned. Second, the mattress surface is flat. There are no hills and valleys to feel underneath when you lay on the mattress. For those that seek a flat surface from which to sleep, look no further.
Does it Sleep Cool?
YES! Puffy chose 3 technologies to ensure a cool, comfortable and dry night’s sleep. It starts with the cover that wicks away moisture, followed by two layers of gel infused comfort and pressure relieving foam. Gel pulls heat away from the body (think osmosis from Jr. High science class!). All three layers are designed with air circulation in mind so after the gel pulls the heat away, airflow removes it from the mattress. The result, a neutral to cool temperature throughout the night keeping you dry and well rested all evening.
How About Edge Support?
Edge support comes from the 6 inch solid core. But it has to go through 4 inches of pressure relieving foam before you get to it. As a result, the edge support on the Puffy Original is good, not great. If you sleep close to the edge or spend a lot of time sitting on the edge of your bed but still want that pressure relieving feeling from the mattress, then you might want to look towards the Puffy Lux or the Puffy Royal.
Puffy Original Comfort & Feel
Puffy set out to build a mattress that made you feel like you were sleeping in a cloud and they achieved it right off the bat with the Original. From the moment you touch the surface you feel like you’ve been transported to the sky. The cover gives you the feeling like cotton ball fibers are gently brushing your face. And when you lay down, the pressure relief is immediate.
The Original is a multi-sleeper, designed for side, stomach and back sleepers alike. However, side sleepers will realize the most immediate benefit as the pressure points of the shoulder, lower back and hips feel immediate relief. The comfort foam layers are also highly responsive, meaning they fill in the crevices quickly when weight is taken off – instead of some foams that keep the energy and make it difficult to move around.
The key to any good night sleep is spinal alignment, usually when a mattress does not allow for proper spinal alignment we toss and turn at night, sometimes waking with back, hip or shoulder pain. Regardless of your sleep style, you quickly feel the 6 inch core support layer helping to align the spine, putting you body in a relaxed state. Up to 200 pounds, the Puffy Original should provide enough support to keep the body aligned properly for years. Over 200 may require additional support (the hybrid Lux or Royal). However, for the budget category to which the Puffy Original falls, they have made a luxurious mattress with superior support at an excellent price.
- On Sandman’s Firmness Scale, we rate the Puffy Original a 4.5 out of 10.
- This is a multi-sleeper, designed for all sleeping styles.
- The pressure relieving comfort layer provides a good amount of sink but the responsive design of the foam and the ability for air to circulate throughout the mattress will keep you cool and dry all night long.
- Edge support is good for the average weight sleeper. You won’t feel like you are rolling off, but folks that like to sleep on the edge should look for a mattress with a little more reinforcement.
Excellent! The Puffy Original is an all foam mattress, so motion isolation is virtually non-existent. The foam does not transfer motion so you will not feel your partner throughout the night.
How Does the Puffy Original Arrive?
The Puffy Original arrives compressed and wrapped up in a box for easy shipping and moving to the bedroom. The all foam construction is also lightweight so the box is not too burdensome. Check out the Dimensions below for more details.
What’s Puffy's Return Policy & Warranty
Puffy offers a 101 night trial period, while most companies offer 100 nights. If for any reason the Original is not the mattress of your dreams within the trial period, you can return it for a 100% refund. Here’s how it works:
- The trial begins when you RECEIVE the mattress (the Fedex delivery day).
- You can sleep on it for 101 nights. As there can be a slight break-in period, Puffy asks that you not initiate a return during the first 30 days.
- If it’s not the mattress of your dreams, reach out to Puffy via email to customer service, call them or start a chat online, provide your name and order number and that’s it! There are no questions asked!
- Returns: Puffy coordinates a donation or recycling pickup on a day of your choosing. They handle everything and there’s nothing you have to do besides letting them know the best pickup date.
- Full 100% refunds (no fees!!) are issued within days of the return.
- One very important item to note: For promotional mattress purchases that include free accessories such as pillows, a mattress protector, and sheets, you may keep, donate, or dispose of the products included with your purchase. The value of your free items will not be deducted from the total value of your mattress return, regardless of what you choose to do with them.
Puffy doesn’t stop there!
Puffy covers the mattress with a lifetime warranty for the entire time that you own it. This does not include normal wear and tear, but any manufacturer defects are covered. If there are impressions greater than 1.5 in, Puffy will replace your mattress for the entire time you own it.
Dimensions and Weights
Puffy Mattress Dimensions
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
|Twin||38″ X 75″ X 10″||38″ X 75″ X 12″||38″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Twin XL||38″ X 80″ X 10″||38″ X 80″ X 12″||38″ X 80″ X 14″|
|Full||54″ X 75″ X 10″||54″ X 75″ X 12″||54″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Queen||60″ X 80″ X 10″||60″ X 80″ X 12″||60″ X 80″ X 14″|
|King||76″ X 80″ X 10″||76″ X 80″ X 12″||76″ X 80″ X 14″|
|California King||72″ X 84″ X 10″||72″ X 84″ X 12″||72″ X 84″ X 14″|
Puffy Mattress Weights
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
How Do I order? Does Puffy Offer Financing?
Click Here to Order
Yes, Puffy offers financing through Klarna. Pay as you like! Enjoy as low as 0% APR if you pay in full within up to 36 months when you choose Klarna.
Where Can I Try Puffy?
Puffy is sold exclusively online. However, if you are in the Chicago or Columbus, OH area, please visit our Sandman Sleep Chicago Showroom or our Sandman Sleep Columbus Showroom to try out the Puffy Original (we’ll even help get it ordered for you!)