Puffy Hybrid Lux Detailed Review
The Straight Scoop - Our Findings & Highlights
The Puffy Lux Hybrid falls right between the Original and Royal, bringing some of the most popular features and traits of each together into one model. Warning: Do NOT let the price fool you, though, because you’re still sleeping on a world-class brand filled with more cooling gel and comfort foam than you could imagine. There are OVER 12 inches of pressure relieving materials in this mattress, making it as cloud-like as any mattress in the entire industry.
|Cover||Plush hypoallergenic expandable stitch-knit fabric|
|Comfort layers||3 layers (5”) of Cooling Cloud, Plush Dual Cloud Foam &
Climate Comfort foam
|Support System||7” high density Contour Adapt coils|
|Tufting||None, flat surface, removable cover|
|Good for Couples? / Motion Transfer||Excellent|
|Edge Support||Very Good, reinforced edges|
|Budget||Twin to King $1,149 – $1,699, Queen $1,499|
|Feeling when lying down||Immediate pressure relief followed by pushback from the
spring support system to fill in all the nooks and
|Puffy Luxe is ideal for||All sleeping positions up to 250lbs
Side sleepers will get the most pressure reliefCouples that want no motion transferHot sleepersPreference for little bit of sink
|Puffy Luxe is not right for||Sleepers above 250lbs
Prefer a firmer surface or to sleep more “on top” of
|Sleep Trial & Warranty||101 Nights, Lifetime Warranty|
|That one special thing||Like sleeping on a supportive cloud|
We’re Here to Help!
Call a Sandman Sleep specialist to fit you for the perfect mattress at 312.888.3155
Get the Best Coupon Automatically Applied Here
Ready to Buy? Buy Now
Launched in 2016, this California based company spent the first year on strict R&D, testing, trying and retesting the perfect formula for the feeling of sleeping on a cloud. In 2017, Puffy released the Puffy Mattress (now called the Puffy Original). Puffy relentlessly focuses on its three tenets:
- Accentuate the feeling of sleeping on a cloud;
- Luxurious comfort; and
- Support for the body.
Sore backs all across America have thanked them ever since. In addition to the stress relief of sleeping in a cloud, Puffy knows that a superior customer experience is paramount once the mattress is purchased to one starting to have a good night sleep. Quick delivery is key and Puffy has 3 dedicated US based factories to help meet their demand within days of an order. And Puffy backs their beds with an industry leading lifetime warranty. As a result, Puffy customer experience and service rating is at the top of the online bedding category.
Puffy constantly develops, sources and tests new materials to achieve that “sleeping on a cloud” feeling. They have come up with 3 models (all indifferent price categories) to achieve their goal. We’ll get into how the Hybrid Lux feels next, but first, let’s take a look at the construction and materials that go into this award winning mattress.
Puffy Lux Construction & Materials
The first step towards looking like and feeling like you’re sleeping on a cloud is the cover. Puffy chose an expandable yet breathable stitch-knit ultra plush cover. The cover feels ultra plush and is designed to wick away moisture throughout the night. Small elastic fibers solve two problems, first the stretchy nature moves with you as it contours to your body. It lets you achieve the benefits of the pressure relief as it contours to your body. Second, the cover is stain resistant and hypoallergenic for easy cleaning and the prevention of dust mites or bacteria that make its way through the sheets to the cover. Puffy went a step further and put a zipper on its cover so you can remove and throw it in the wash (gentle cycle please!)!
Comfort Layers (They’ve got 3!)
The Puffy Lux captures its cloud-like feel through 3 layers (5 total inches of comfort and pressure relief) in this 12 inch mattress
- As with the Original, right underneath the cover Puffy introduces you to 1.5 inches of gel infused breathable foam, called the Cooling Cloud Foam. Gel pulls heat from the body, and the breathable materials allows air flow to remove it from the mattress. It does not retain top body heat like most memory foam beds that use visco-elastic. It is also more responsive than traditional memory foam so it fills in the nooks and crannies quickly allowing you to move around in bed and not get “stuck”.
- The Cooling Cloud Foam is followed by 1.5 inches of Plush Dual Cloud Foam for greater pressure relief and cooling comfort.
- Below the Cloud Foam is 2 more inches of Puffy’s exclusive Climate Comfort FoamTM. This is not only a pressure relieving foam but it is the higher dense foam that will have more energy absorption to cradle to the body like a cloud should. Yet, the Climate Comfort Foam is also softer to continue to provide a cloud-like experience. This humidity resistant foam also helps wick away moisture to ensure the bed responds to your every movement.
The Hybrid Lux boasts 7 inch coils specifically designed for body contouring, promoting greater support and spinal alignment, no matter the sleeping position. Surrounding the coils is a high density foam encasement to keep the coils locked in and provide greater edge support, a significant upgrade from the Original all foam. Not only do the coils provide greater support, but they also aid the cooling process during the evening as the space between the coils allows for greater air circulation, keeping the bed drier and therefore cooler.
The Grip Base Cover is on the bottom of the mattress. It is designed to prevent slippage to the base holding the mattress. This grip cover is unique to Puffy and it helps keep the bed nice and stable, providing a better night’s rest, no matter which foundation you choose.
Puffy does not tuft its mattress, meaning the cover is not attached to the comfort and support layers. This is for two reasons, first, the cover is removable so it can be easily cleaned. Second, the mattress surface is flat. There are no hills and valleys to feel underneath when you lay on the mattress. For those that seek a flat surface from which to sleep, look no further.
Does Puffy Lux Sleep Cool?
YES! The hybrid lux was designed with furnace sleepers in mind. Puffy chose 3 technologies to ensure a cool, comfortable and dry night’s sleep. It starts with the cover that wicks away moisture. Then is followed by three layers of gel infused comfort and pressure relieving foam. Gel is designed to pull away heat from the body (think osmosis from Jr. High science class!). All three layers are designed with air circulation in mind so after the gel pulls the heat away, airflow removes it from the mattress. Finally, the coils promote greater air circulation than traditional all foam mattresses. The result, a cool, comfortable temperature throughout the night keeping you dry and well rested all evening.
How About Edge Support?
Edge support comes from the solid 7 inch foam encasement and the 7 inch coils. This addition definitely provides greater edge support and increases the overall sleeping area of the mattress. From a rating system of Good Better Best, The hybrid lux falls into the Better category. The 5 inches of gel foam on the comfort layer makes the edge a little soft before you hit the firm encasement. A significant improvement over the original, but if you truly want superior edge support, you may want to have a look at the Puffy Royal.
Puffy Lux Comfort & Feel
Puffy set out to build a mattress that made you feel like sleeping in a cloud and they achieved it right off the bat with the Puffy Original. However, with the Puffy Lux, they took the awe factor to the next level. From the moment you touch the surface you feel like you’ve been transported to the sky. Complete pressure relief. You barely feel the bed as it contours to your entire body and provides complete comfort to the shoulders, lower back and hips.
As with the Original, the Puffy Lux is a multi-sleeper, designed for side, stomach and back sleepers alike. Whereas in the Original, side and back sleepers received the most benefit as the Puffy contoured to one’s body, the Puffy Lux hits all three sleep styles with both comfort and support. You can feel the support and alignment coming from the coils although the 5 inches of foam prevent you from “feeling” that the bed even has coils. The comfort foam layers are also highly responsive, meaning they fill in the crevices quickly when weight is taken off (instead of some foams that keep the energy and make it difficult to move around).
Stomach and back sleepers will also feel very nice pressure relief from the addition of the coils. The key to any good night sleep is spinal alignment. Usually when our mattress does not allow for proper spinal alignment we toss and turn at night, sometimes waking with back, hip or shoulder pain. Up to 250 pounds, the Puffy Lux should provide plenty of support to keep the body aligned for years with the mattress. Over 250, but still needing extreme pressure relief, you may require additional support from the Puffy Royal. However, for the mid range budget category to which the Puffy Lux falls, they have made a luxurious mattress with superior support at an excellent price.
- On Sandman’s Firmness Scale, we rate the Puffy Lux a 5.5 out of 10. It is about as perfect a Medium as we’ve tried.
- Puffy Lux is a multi-sleeper, designed for all sleeping styles.
- The pressure relieving comfort layer provides a good amount of sink but the responsive design of the foam and the ability for air to circulate throughout the mattress will keep you cool and dry all night long. You will not sink deep into this mattress, rather the responsive materials will make you feel more like you are on top of it, instead of “in” it.
- Edge support is very good for the average to heavier weight sleeper. You won’t feel like you are rolling off and folks can sleep comfortably all the way to the edge of the mattress.
Superior! Although the Puffy Lux has springs (which usually leads to greater motion detection), the 5″ of gel foam above the coils dampens and nearly eliminates any motion transfer. If your partner is a toss and turner, you’ll sleep soundly throughout the night.
How Does Puffy Lux Arrive
The Puffy Lux arrives compressed and wrapped up in a box for easy shipping and moving to the bedroom. The hybrid construction is also lightweight so the box is not too burdensome. Check out the Dimensions below for more details.
What is Puffy's Return Policy & Warranty
Puffy offers a 101 night trial period, while most companies offer 100 nights. If for any reason the Original is not the mattress of your dreams within the trial period, you can return it for a 100% refund. Here’s how it works:
- The trial begins when you RECEIVE the mattress (the Fedex delivery day).
- You can sleep on it for 101 nights. As there can be a slight break-in period, Puffy asks that you not initiate a return during the first 30 days.
- If it’s not the mattress of your dreams, reach out to Puffy via email to customer service, call them or start a chat online, provide your name and order number and that’s it! There are no questions asked!
- Returns: Puffy coordinates a donation or recycling pickup on a day of your choosing. They handle everything and there’s nothing you have to do besides letting them know the best pickup date.
- Full 100% refunds (no fees!!) are issued within days of the return.
- One very important item to note: For promotional mattress purchases that include free accessories such as pillows, a mattress protector, and sheets, you may keep, donate, or dispose of the products included with your purchase. The value of your free items will not be deducted from the total value of your mattress return, regardless of what you choose to do with them.
Puffy doesn’t stop there!
Puffy covers the mattress with a lifetime warranty for the entire time that you own it. This does not include normal wear and tear, but any manufacturer defects are covered. If there are impressions greater than 1.5 in, Puffy will replace your mattress for the entire time you own it.
Dimensions and Weights
Puffy Mattress Dimensions
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
|Twin||38″ X 75″ X 10″||38″ X 75″ X 12″||38″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Twin XL||38″ X 80″ X 10″||38″ X 80″ X 12″||38″ X 80″ X 14″|
|Full||54″ X 75″ X 10″||54″ X 75″ X 12″||54″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Queen||60″ X 80″ X 10″||60″ X 80″ X 12″||60″ X 80″ X 14″|
|King||76″ X 80″ X 10″||76″ X 80″ X 12″||76″ X 80″ X 14″|
|California King||72″ X 84″ X 10″||72″ X 84″ X 12″||72″ X 84″ X 14″|
Puffy Mattress Weights
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
How Do I order my New Puffy Lux? Does Puffy Offer Financing?
Click Here to Order
Yes, Puffy offers financing through Klarna. Pay as you like! Enjoy as low as 0% APR if you pay in full within up to 36 months when you choose Klarna.
Where Can I Try a Puffy Lux Near Me?
Puffy is sold exclusively online. However, if you are in the Chicago or Columbus, OH area, please visit our Sandman Sleep Chicago Showroom or our Sandman Sleep Columbus Showroom to try out the Puffy Lux (we’ll even help get it ordered for you!):