Puffy Royal Detailed Review
The Straight Scoop - Our Findings & Highlights
Just when you thought the Puffy Hybrid Lux could not be outdone by either pressure relief or support, Puffy comes out with a game changer – Puffy Royal. They packed in more cooling gels, more comfort layers and greater support in their top of the line, luxury plush hybrid.
|Comfort Styles||1, Luxury Plush|
|Cover||Plush hypoallergenic expandable stitch-knit fabric|
|Comfort layers||4 layers (7”) of Infused Cooling Foam, Reflexive Memory Foam, Climate Comfort foam & Cloud Air Technology Foam|
|Support System||7” high density Contour Adapt coils|
|Tufting||None, flat surface, removable cover|
|Good for Couples? / Motion Transfer||Excellent|
|Budget||Twin to King $1,349 – $2,699, Queen $2,399|
|Feeling when lying down||Immediate cool surface and soothing pressure relief followed by spinal alignment from the support system|
|Royal is ideal for||All sleeping positions up to 300lbs
Side sleepers will get the most pressure reliefCouples that want no motion transferHot sleepersPreference for an luxury plush feel
|Royal is not right for||Prefer a firmer/hard surface or to sleep more “on top” of the mattress|
|Sleep Trial & Warranty||101 Nights, Lifetime Warranty|
|That one special thing||Ultimate luxury, worth every penny|
We’re Here to Help!
Call a Sandman Sleep specialist to fit you for the perfect mattress at 312.888.3155
Get the Best Coupon Automatically Applied Here
Ready to Buy? Buy Now
Launched in 2016, this California based company spent the first year on strict R&D, testing, trying and retesting the perfect formula for the feeling of sleeping on a cloud. In 2017, Puffy released the Puffy Mattress (now called the Puffy Original). Puffy relentlessly focuses on its three tenets:
- Accentuate the feeling of sleeping on a cloud;
- Luxurious comfort; and
- Support for the body.
Sore backs all across America have thanked them ever since. In addition to the stress relief of sleeping in a cloud, Puffy knows that a superior customer experience is paramount once the mattress is purchased to one starting to have a good night sleep. Quick delivery is key and Puffy has 3 dedicated US based factories to help meet their demand within days of an order. And Puffy backs their beds with an industry leading lifetime warranty. As a result, Puffy customer experience and service rating is at the top of the online bedding category.
Puffy constantly develops, sources and tests new materials to achieve that “sleeping on a cloud” feeling. They have come up with 3 models (all indifferent price categories) to achieve their goal. We’ll get into how the Hybrid Lux feels next, but first, let’s take a look at the construction and materials that go into this award winning mattress.
Puffy Royal Construction & Materials
The first step towards looking like and feeling like you’re sleeping on a cloud is the cover. Puffy chose an expandable yet breathable stitch-knit ultra plush cover. The cover feels ultra plush and is designed to wick away moisture throughout the night. Small elastic fibers solve two problems, first the stretchy nature moves with you as it contours to your body. It lets you achieve the benefits of the pressure relief as it contours to your body. Second, the cover is stain resistant and hypoallergenic for easy cleaning and the prevention of dust mites or bacteria that make its way through the sheets to the cover. Puffy went a step further and put a zipper on its cover so you can remove and throw it in the wash (gentle cycle please!)!
Comfort Layers (They’ve got 4!)
The Puffy Royal captures the ultimate cloud-like feel through 4 layers (7 inches of comfort and pressure relief) in this 14 inch mattress. Puffy pulled out all the stops in designing one of the most cool, comfortable and supportive mattresses available on the market today. The WOW factor of the Puffy Lux just got outdone.
- The Royal surpasses both the Original and the Lux by upgrading you immediately to 1.5 inches of Infused Cooling Foam. Supportive and responsive, the Cooling Foam uses state of the art technology to embed cooling beads (they’re super tiny, you can’t feel them) to give you an immediate cool-to-the-touch sensation.
- Directly underneath this new layer is the most advanced Reflexive Memory Foam available. The reflexive memory foam is ultra responsive so that it contours to every part of your body providing the most advanced pressure relief on the market today. As with all of Puffy’s gel foams, it does not retain top body heat like most memory foam beds that use visco-elastic foam. It is also more responsive than traditional memory foam so it fills in the nooks and crannies quickly allowing you to move around in bed and not get “stuck”.
- Below the Cloud Foam is 2 more inches of Puffy’s exclusive Climate Comfort FoamTM. This is not only a pressure relieving foam but it is a higher density foam that will have more energy absorption to cradle to the body like a cloud should. Yet, the Climate Comfort Foam is also softer to continue to give the sleeper a cloud-like feel. This humidity resistant foam also helps wick away moisture to ensure the bed responds to your every movement.
- Finally, Puffy introduces its latest advancement, Cloud Air Technology Foam. Specifically designed to maximize air flow, the foam is designed with groves to promote greater air circulation throughout the bed. The key to a cool comfortable night’s sleep is being dry. Advanced air flow technology allows the mattress to “breathe” so you can rest easy.
The Royal boasts 7 inch coils specifically designed for body contouring promoting greater support and spinal alignment, no matter the sleeping position. With the Royal, Puffy introduces a 5 zoned support system to provide more support where we need it (the middle third of our body). You will feel the difference as lumbar support is greater while the mattress still provides the ultimate cloud like feel for which Puffy is known.
Surrounding the coils is a high density foam encasement to keep them locked in and provide greater edge support – a significant upgrade from the Original all foam. Not only do the coils provide greater support, but they also aid the cooling process during the evening as the space between the coils allows for greater air circulation, keeping the bed drier and therefore cooler.
The Grip Base Cover on the bottom of the mattress prevents slippage to the bedframe. This grip cover is unique to Puffy and it helps keep the bed nice and stable, providing a better night’s rest, no matter which foundation you choose.
Puffy does not tuft its mattress, meaning the cover is not attached to the comfort and support layers. This is for two reasons, first, the cover is removable so it can be easily cleaned. Second, the mattress surface is flat. There are no hills and valleys to feel underneath when you lay on the mattress. For those that seek a flat surface from which to sleep, look no further.
Does Puffy Royal Sleep Cool?
YES!!! The Royal Hybrid was engineered with furnace sleepers in mind. Puffy chose 5 industry leading technologies to ensure a cool, comfortable and dry night’s sleep. It starts with the cover that wicks away moisture. Then is followed by four layers of gel infused comfort and pressure relieving foam. Gel pulls away heat from the body (think osmosis from Jr. High science class!). All four layers are designed with air circulation in mind so after the gel pulls the heat away. airflow removes it from the mattress. Lastly, the coils promote greater air circulation than traditional all foam mattresses. The result, a cool, comfortable temperature throughout the night keeping you dry and well rested all evening.
How About Edge Support?
Edge support comes from the solid 7 inch foam encasement and the 7 inch coils. This addition definitely provides greater edge support and increases the overall sleeping area of the mattress. From a rating system of Good, Very Good, Superior, The Puffy Royal Hybrid hits the mark with a superior rating. The 7 inches of gel foam on the comfort layer makes the edge a little soft before you hit the firm encasement. However, Puffy took extra time to design an edge that is as supportive and responsive as the center of the mattress. A significant improvement over the Puffy Lux, the Royal provides superior edge support
Puffy Royal Comfort & Feel
The Puffy Royal is hands down one of the most luxurious mattresses we have tried. Shock, awe and wow factor all come to mind when describing this mattress that truly feels like you are sleeping on a cloud. Complete. Pressure. Relief. You barely feel the bed as it contours to your entire body, providing complete comfort to the shoulders, lower back and hips.
As with the Original, and the Puffy Lux, the Royal is a multi-sleeper which means it’s designed for side, stomach and back sleepers alike. Whereas in the Original, side and back sleepers got the most benefit, the Royal provides superior comfort and support for all three styles. You can feel the support and alignment coming from the coils although the 7 inches of foam prevent you from “feeling” that the bed even has coils. The comfort foam layers are also highly responsive, meaning they fill in the crevices quickly when weight is taken off (instead of some foams that keep the energy and make it difficult to move around).
The key to a restful night sleep is proper spinal alignment. Usually when our mattress does not allow for proper spinal alignment we toss and turn at night, sometimes waking with back, hip or shoulder pain. The Royal can comfortably support any weight providing plenty of support to keep the body aligned for years. The Puffy Royal comes with one of the highest price tags in online mattresses – but this contouring, pressure relieving, spinal aligning support-where-you-need-it luxury mattress is worth every penny of the investment.
- On Sandman’s Firmness Scale, we rate the Puffy Original a 6.5 out of 10. It is just a hair firmer than medium without sacrificing support.
- This is a multi-sleeper, designed for all sleeping styles.
- The pressure relieving comfort layer provides a good amount of plush sink but the responsive design of the foam and the ability for air to circulate throughout the mattress will keep you cool and dry all night long. You will not sink deep into this mattress, rather the responsive materials will make you feel more like you are on top of it, instead of “in” it.
- Edge support is superior for just about any sleeper of any size. You won’t feel like you are rolling off and folks can sleep comfortably all the way to the edge of the mattress.
Excellent! Although the Puffy Royal Hybrid has springs (which usually leads to greater motion detection), the 7 inch layers of gel foam above the coils dampens and nearly eliminates any motion transfer. If your partner is a toss and turner, you’ll sleep soundly throughout the night.
How Does the Puffy Royal Arrive?
The Puffy Royal arrives compressed and wrapped up in a box for easy shipping and moving to the bedroom. The hybrid construction is also lightweight so the box is not too burdensome. Check out the Dimensions below for more details.
What’s The Return Policy / Warranty
Puffy offers a 101 night trial period, while most companies offer 100 nights. If for any reason the Puffy Royal is not the mattress of your dreams within the trial period, you can return it for a 100% refund. Here’s how it works:
- The trial begins when you RECEIVE the mattress (the Fedex delivery day).
- You can sleep on it for 101 nights. As there can be a slight break-in period, Puffy asks that you not initiate a return during the first 30 days.
- If it’s not the mattress of your dreams, reach out to Puffy via email to customer service, call them or start a chat online, provide your name and order number and that’s it! There are no questions asked!
- Returns: Puffy coordinates a donation or recycling pickup on a day of your choosing. They handle everything and there’s nothing you have to do besides letting them know the best pickup date.
- Full 100% refunds (no fees!!) are issued within days of the return.
- One very important item to note: For promotional mattress purchases that include free accessories such as pillows, a mattress protector, and sheets, you may keep, donate, or dispose of the products included with your purchase. The value of your free items will not be deducted from the total value of your mattress return, regardless of what you choose to do with them.
Puffy doesn’t stop there!
Puffy covers the mattress with a lifetime warranty for the entire time that you own it. This does not include normal wear and tear, but any manufacturer defects are covered. If there are impressions greater than 1.5 in, Puffy will replace your mattress for the entire time you own it.
Dimensions and Weights
Puffy Mattress Dimensions
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
|Twin||38″ X 75″ X 10″||38″ X 75″ X 12″||38″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Twin XL||38″ X 80″ X 10″||38″ X 80″ X 12″||38″ X 80″ X 14″|
|Full||54″ X 75″ X 10″||54″ X 75″ X 12″||54″ X 75″ X 14″|
|Queen||60″ X 80″ X 10″||60″ X 80″ X 12″||60″ X 80″ X 14″|
|King||76″ X 80″ X 10″||76″ X 80″ X 12″||76″ X 80″ X 14″|
|California King||72″ X 84″ X 10″||72″ X 84″ X 12″||72″ X 84″ X 14″|
Puffy Mattress Weights
|Size||Puffy Mattress||Puffy Lux (HYBRID)||Puffy Royal (HYBRID)|
How Do I order? Does Puffy Offer Financing?
Click Here to Order
Yes, Puffy offers financing through Klarna. Pay as you like! Enjoy as low as 0% APR if you pay in full within up to 36 months when you choose Klarna.
Where Can I Try Puffy Royal Near Me?
Puffy is sold exclusively online. However, if you are in the Chicago or Columbus, OH area, please visit our Sandman Sleep Chicago Showroom or our Sandman Sleep Columbus Showroom to try out the Puffy Royal (we’ll even help get it ordered for you!)