Oceano Mattress by Brentwood Home Detailed Review
The Straight Scoop - Our Findings & Highlights
Brentwood handcrafts the Oceano with the finest domestic and international materials in its own GOLS certified factory just outside of Los Angeles.
|Comfort layers||Wool, silk and BiofoamTM memory foam|
|Support System||Dual suspension – Up to 2674 steel coils, 5 zones|
|Tufting||Needle Tufting – tufted all the way through by hand|
|Good for Couples? / Motion Transfer||Very Good|
|Budget (before Sandman Coupon)||Twin-Split King $999-$2,398, Queen $1499|
|Feeling when lying down||A light floaty feeling, almost suspended|
|Oceano is ideal for||Stomach, back or combination sleepers up to 220 lbs
Exclusive side sleepers up to 150 lbsPreference for sleeping more on-top of the bed
|Oceano is not right for||Exclusive side sleepers above 150 lbs
Weight above 230Prefer a plush sinking feeling
|Sleep Trial & Warranty||1 Year Trial, no hassle return, 25 year warranty|
|That one special thing||Visually stunning|
We’re Here to Help!
Brentwood began hand crafting luxury mattresses in 1987. Originally known as a boutique manufacturer, their popularity exploded as soon as they moved to the online distribution model. In fact, Avocado commissioned Brentwood to manufacture its award winning 100% organic Avocado Green mattress. The mattress was so popular that in 2018, Avocado bought the company! This merger benefited Brentwood greatly as Avocado owns and controls its entire supply chain. That’s right, the sheep farms that produce the wool, the cotton fields that produce the cotton, the rubber trees in India that produce the latex. They upgraded the California manufacturing facility to earn one of only 5 GOTS and GOLS organic certified production facilities in the US.
To this day, Brentwood continues to have a relentless focus on high quality craftsmanship.
Oceano Construction & Materials
- Plant-based Tencel™ fabric cover is super soft.
- GOTS Organic Certified wool from India.
- Natural poly-silk fiber for performance and luxury.
- BioFoam® memory foam contours to your every curve.
- Up to 1,722 responsive micro-coils for fast response.
- Air Luxe® foam for deep down pressure relief.
- Up to 975 pocketed coils and a reinforced perimeter.
- High-density support foam ensures durability.
- GOTS organic certified cotton canvas so nothing slides.
Brentwood starts with a Tencel™ cover, a 100% natural eucalyptus-based performance fabric. Tencel has a soft-to-the-skin, luxurious feel designed to keep you cool and dry throughout the night. More absorbent than cotton, softer than silk and cooler than linen, Tencel is also naturally anti-microbial by resisting dust mites, bacteria and allergens. And Tencel uses 10-20x less water during production than cotton so it is better for the environment! No wonder Tencel is a USDA-certified bio-based material that has received the European Award for the Environment from the European Commission.
Oceano Comfort Layers (They’ve got 5!)
- The Oceano starts with a 100% GOTS certified wool to provide temperature regulation, moisture-wicking, and flame retardancy without the use of chemicals or synthetic fibers. The wool is sustainably sourced from Brentwood’s organic cooperatives in India.
- Brentwood adds a layer of natural poly-silk fiber to enhance breathability. and performance.
- The silk gently rests on top of 1 inch of plant based BiofoamTM memory foam for pressure relief and cooling. As part of its sustainability effort, Brentwood, only uses memory foams formulated with up to 20% BioFoam®. BioFoam® is a patented biological foam made in the United States from vegetable materials. Using BioFoam® does not mean that the memory foam can be considered a completely natural product. But it’s a step in the right direction.
- The Biofoam is followed by up to 1,722 individually wrapped micro-pocketed recycled steel coils for ultra-responsive comfort and precision support.
- Finally a 1 inch layer of dense Aire Luxe Foam for deep comfort and pressure-point relief that is notably airy and cool rests above the support layer.
Support Layer – 7 Zoned Support
For unparalleled support, Brentwood chose an 8-inch ActivEdge™ Quantum® Edge coil unit from Leggett & Platt®. The Oceano features up to 975 individually pocketed coils, plus a reinforced perimeter. It is one of the most advanced support systems to pair with their comfort system. The springs have 7 zoned support, placing softer (yet incredibly supportive) springs in the shoulder and hip region and more support where it counts – in the middle third of our body. Finally, they reinforced the edge coils so that you can sleep all the way to the edge of the mattress without any feeling of falling out. The result: a support system that properly aligns the spine while relieving pressure points for a comfortable night’s rest.
Finally, Brentwood lays down 1-inch of luxe CertiPUR-US® certified high-density support foam and finishes the bottom with a 100% GOTS certified organic cotton canvas base in a beautiful Herringbone pattern.
To ensure that everything fits together snug and tight, Brentwood decided on the 300 year old tried and true method – Needle Tufting. Needle tufting is the process of taking a long needle all the way through the layers to the base and back up. They tie off each tufting with a flower pattern. This can only be done by hand through the experts at Brentwood’s manufacturing facility. The result, no clumping or shifting of materials creating a solid feeling mattress for a deep sleep all night long.
Does it Sleep Cool?
Yes! Oceano has several mechanisms to give you a cool, dry and comfortable night sleep (even for furnace sleepers). Feeling cool at night is all about feeling dry. Oceano starts with the ultra wicking Tencel cover. This is followed by the wool and silk which not only wick moisture, but they improve airflow. The BioFoam is infused with gel which pulls heat away. And finally, the hybrid has springs which further promote air flow. The result, a cool dry sleep all night long.
How About Edge Support?
Oceano reinforces the outer edge of the spring support system with thicker coils on every mattress. This results in a stronger edge support allowing you to sleep all the way to the edge with no worry of sliding off.
One Added Benefit: the microcoils in the top layer push back against you to fill in all the nooks and crannies. This responsive nature adds to edge support and actually “helps” you get out of bed in the morning!
Oceano Comfort & Feel
The Oceano is one of the most beautiful mattresses we have seen and is extremely popular on our showroom floors. By just touching the silky smooth Tencel cover, you know you are about to lay on a luxurious mattress. Upon laying down you feel the wool silk and biofoam begin to cradle your hips and shoulder. Quickly you begin to feel the microcoils apply contouring pressure back to keep you stable. The support system is robust, but we found the Oceano to have a plush top. Side and combination sleepers up to 220 lbs will really enjoy the Oceano. Exclusive side sleepers that are under 190 lbs will also enjoy the luxurious comfort. Exclusive side sleepers greater than 190 lbs may not receive the pressure point relief that they need. An alternative may be the Avocado Green Latex Pillowtop. The 7 zoned spring coils provide a significant amount of support whereby back and stomach sleepers will get the most comfort. You will definitely not sink as this bed is designed to sleep “on top” of this mattress. The bed still packs in incredible cooling features. For couples, motion isolation is very good. You should not feel your partner move at night, however because of the springs, it will not be zero isolation as found on an all memory foam mattress.
- On Sandman’s Firmness Scale, we rate the Oceano a 5.5 out of 10.
- Stomach, back and lighter side sleepers sleepers will get the most benefit out of the Oceano.
- The plush comfort layer provides very little sink, but even so, the superior airflow design and advanced cooling technology will keep you cool and dry all night long.
- Edge support is excellent – no side sagging here!
Very Good The combination of wool, silk and Biofoam memory foam dampens a significant amount of motion transfer, but still keeps a bit of bounce. From a hybrid perspective, motion isolation is very good in the Oceano. Simply put, you will barely feel your partner move at night, if any at all. Whether they are a toss and turner, an early riser or using the facilities, it’s not the bed that will wake you.
Due to the high quality materials, the Oceano mattress has no off gassing.
How does the Oceano arrive?
The Oceano comes in a box for easy shipping and moving to the bedroom. It’s crazy to think that a king size mattress with powerful springs can be compressed, but it can. And, with no sacrifice to quality and durability. Some people ask if compressing the springs will hurt their integrity. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Springs are actually shipped compressed all over the world (to save space). The springs integrity is damaged if they are pulled excessively or bent out of position. But, the way Brentwood compresses its mattresses, they keep their shape and strength. The box arrives via Fedex or White Glove Delivery if you choose. Simply unbox the mattress. Rest it on the bed frame and remove the plastic wrapping and the bed will decompress before your eyes. You can begin sleeping on the bed and enjoying a restful night sleep that same day. Moving most sizes will be a 2 man job, especially if going up stairs. Check out the Dimensions below for more details.
What’s Brentwood's Return Policy & Warranty?
Brentwood stands behind their bed so much that they give you a FULL YEAR, yes 365 Days! trial. Most companies offer 100 nights. If for any reason this is not the mattress of your dreams, you can return it for a 100% refund. Here’s how it works:
- The trial begins when you RECEIVE the mattress (the Fedex delivery day).
- You can sleep on it for 365 nights. As there can be a slight break-in period, Brentwood asks that you not initiate a return during the first 30 days.
- If it’s not the mattress of your dreams, reach out to Brentwood via their customer service portal on their website, provide your name and order number and that’s it! There are no questions asked!
- Returns: Brentwood coordinates a donation or recycling pickup on a day of your choosing. They handle everything and there’s nothing you have to do besides letting them know the best pickup date.
- Full 100% refunds (no fees!!) are issued within days of the return.
Brentwood doesn’t stop there!
Brentwood covers the mattress with a 25 year warranty. This does not include normal wear and tear, but any manufacturer defects are covered. If there are impressions greater than 1.5 in, Brentwood will replace your mattress for the entire time you own it.
Dimensions and Weights
|Twin||75″L X 38″W X 14″H||80lbs|
|Twin XL||80″L X 38″W X 14″H||90 lbs|
|Full||75″L X 54″W X 14″H||115 lbs|
|Queen||80″L X 60″W X 14″H||135 lbs|
|King||80″L X 76″W X 14″H||170lbs|
|Cal King||84″L X 72″W X 14″H||170 lbs|
|Split King||80″L X 38″W X 14″H (x2)||175 lbs|
How Do I order to Oceano? Does Brentwood Offer Financing?
Yes, Brentwood offers financing through Affirm. Enjoy as low as 0% APR if you pay in full within up to 18 months when you choose Affirm.